Profile


Hello there, welcome to my beauty/lifestyle blog! My name is SJ and I am from Vancouver, British Columbia.
My interests include photography, (Korean/Japanese) beauty/skincare and... cute stuff (Mamegoma & Rilakkuma ♥).

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Review: Garnier Olia Hair Color in 6.65 Light Garnet Red


First of all... WOW. I was super intrigued when I first saw that Garnier had these 3 lovely Garnet hair shades.

Left to Right:
6.65 Light Garnet Red
5.60 Medium Garnet Red
4.62 Dark Garnet Red

What comes in the box


Image was taken with my iPod and have not been colour corrected.






Left (Then): used mostly burgundy/auburn hair dyes from Revlon Colorsilk and then attempted to ombre with L’oreal Feria.
Right (Now): used Garnier Olia in Light Garnet Red. Love it. Have never had such a vibrant result! 

Garnier Olia in Light Garnet Red (6.65)
This is a lovely red wine shade with cool tones. I was debating whether to purchase this shade or Dark Garnet Red (6.65), because the results on that box showed a more violety red which looked just as pretty. Actually, I love how all three of the Garnet Red shades look. I guess the real reason I chose the lightest shade is because I know my hair doesn't lift colour easily (I do have stubborn, dark Asian hair after all!) :/ And as you can see based on my photo, my hair looks more true to the Medium Garnet Red.
  • Pros: 
    • 60% oil blends translates to better restoration of healthy hair and preservation of hair colour
    • Less damaging and contains less fragrance since it is ammonia-free
    • Short waiting time; colour develops pretty quickly. Suggested to leave dye on roots for 10 minutes and elsewhere for an additional 20 minutes
    • Hair felt pretty soft after applying the conditioning that comes in box
    • Easy application, easy to clean up mess
  • Cons: 
    • Didn't exactly lift my hair to the colour shown on the box, but I still love the results!

Precautions on Red Hair
If you don't know already, red hair fades the easiest so if you do decide to go for this colour, make sure you are committed or you will be disappointed! 

In general, you should always invest in a good shampoo specifically for colour treated hair. I noticed my hair colours fading less quickly when I switched over to one, such as Vidal Sassoon... but with red hair, I recently purchased the John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo because it's affordable and particularly for red hair. It is also recommended to wash your hair in cold water to ensure the cuticles are closed so the colour doesn't wash out as fast.

I'll try to take pictures weekly so I can post an update in a month or so.